LCC Down the Ages
Legends don't die; they live and enliven a nonextant memory. Amongst those legends that enliven the proud memory of Lucknow (Shiraz i Hind) that was once the cultural and artistic capital of the l9th century lndia, this small school established in l882 by Rev. J H. Messmom plays a valiant role. It is interesting to know that the thought spark of an enlightened education began at the end of 1857. No one took the first step until The Reverend arrived in Lucknow in 1861. The government gazetter of the province records a grant of Rupees One Hundred being given to the development of the school in 1862. When the need of a higher education was strongly felt by the Methodist Missionaries in 1867, they gathered Rs. 15,000 (which was a substantial amount those days) as an endowment for the proposed college. The later sixties saw the establishment of the college in Husainabad. Ten years later it was discovered that the population of Lucknow was beginning to shift eastward. At about the same time the need of a boarding school was felt by the Board of directors. For these two reasons the school was now shifted to Inayat Bagh. History also records a prolonged flood of Gomti which washed away a sizable land of the original site of the college. In 1878 Rev. B. H. Badley was placed in charge of the school and it was removed to a building directly south of the Raushan-ud-Daulah Kothi. Rev. Badley was a man of vision and executive ability. In a few years the institution attracted students from all over Central and North lndia. The school in 1882 saw the first class matriculating that December. It was this school which eventually in 1888 grew into the College. History records the strenuous efforts of Dr. Badley for an endowment of Rs. 26,000 to get the affiliation from Calcutta University. On July 2, 1888 the college was opened for enrolment. The classes were held in the High School building and the affiliation was at first to the Intermediate or EA standard. The Reid Hall was constructed in 1892 and served as the main college building until 1921. The college was known as Reid Christian College.
Dr. Badley then started making appeals to the government of the province for a suitable piece of land on which a college building, separate from the High school, could be erected at last he was able to secure from the government a triangular plot of land just across the road from the High school. It was valued at about Rs. 12,000 and was given ‘free of cost and free of rent’ on three conditions: (1) that the college building should cost not less than Rs. 50,000; (2) that the plans of the building should be , first approved by the government; and (3) that the building should be erected within two years. The plot of the land given by the government contained a tank, dug by Asuf-ud-daulah, the Nawab of Oudh, as a famine -relief measure in 1795. The filling of the tank at Rs.3000 cost a great deal of money in those days. The foundation stone of the new college building was laidonAugustG, 1881 by Bishop J. M. Thoburn. Dr. Badley who had laboured so hard to bring about this fulfilment of the dreams of many including himself, did not Reid Christian College live to see the completion of the building for after a rather long illness he passed on to his heavenly abode on November 20, 1891